Tuesday, January 26, 2016

So The Work Finally Starts.... Ish

So it's the first week of term... My first thoughts have mostly been this: 'blimey what have I got myself into?'

Constantly stressing about work from back home is one thing, add the impending doom that is my second term and a term abroad nonetheless, stress is the main emotion for the majority of the week.
I moved into my dorms last Sunday (the 17th) and found myself finding some new friends.. It took me quicker than my first year in uni to find some good friends. (Maybe it's because I know what to look for now? That and my accent I bet).

My first week was mostly me trying to figure out what classes I wanted to attend, which I'm still doing now. Currently I've settled on Sociology, Journalism, Film and Electronic Arts and Women's studies.

I also went to an open mic night with my building, it was quite fun... Until there were free tshirts given out to those who performed... And I can't resist a free tshirt. SO what did I do at an open mic night event? I made up a haiku and performed it. It goes like this (and yes I did count the syllables on my hand on stage):

Hi my name is Beth 
I'd like a large tshirt please
I am from England

I got my tshirt.

I've also been utilizing the free gym - I don't know why British universities (or Swansea) don't do this for their students. If I'm paying £9000 plus a year for tuition then I should expect some benefits! What do I get for the money? 9 hours a week of lectures that don't really stimulate me. I'm sure other students feel the same way too. Here I get assessments every week, constant reading and stimulating articles to annotate, even field trips! I haven't been on one in Swansea and I'm sure there's all sorts of things media students can do in England(/Wales).

But anyway, gym. I rather like having a gym that isn't half an hour away or over £200. Summer calls for a beach body and a beach body is what I'll get.

Occasionally I'll get a bit homesick but it's a once in a lifetime experience and I might not get to do this again, so I've learnt to be a bit stronger, hopefully when I come back I'll be able to do more without depending on my mum as much anymore.

From now I don't know how much I'll be uploading, simply because of the huge workload I have but I will try to!

(I still don't get half of the American sayings... But at some point I will and I will be so insufferable!)

Anyway, must dash!

Adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment